Friday, September 17, 2010

The Devil and Daniel Johnston

Open Mic did not go as well as I had hoped, but an encore performance with a few friends (and little Carona) made me feel better about it. Kind of reaffirmed what I'm capable of, and that my below par performance was just nerves.

I'm listening to Daniel Johnston right now. I think I'll do one his songs for the next open mic. I forgot how much I love his music, and how I need to see The Devil and Daniel Johnston, a documentary about his life, asap.

Daniel Johnston is a musician who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. He was in and out of mental hospitals, and became so obsessed with the devil that it ended up being all he could talk about. He recorded in the late 70s and 80s mostly, handed out his tapes in Austin, Texas to random people and got notoriety for it! His lyrics and voice are so raw and well for the most part, brilliant, and sad. More people should listen

I'll put up a song that's been covered already. But there are so many more to hear.


and the trailer.


Enjoy!

1 comment: