Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Nothing Happening, It's All Illusion

Tomorrow is open mic night. I am both excited and completely tempted to back out. Only three people are signed up. It's the first one of the year. But I know that if I don't do it now, I never will. I think I'll sing what I've been singing all summer: She & Him's cover of You Really Got A Hold on Me (even though that song did not get me into the women's a cappella group on campus.)


Something like that. You know, without the cool harmonies and backup singing, and I slow it down a little to up the jazzy vibe. Genevieve, if she's still up for it, and I will perfect this song and perform it at a bigger open mic in LA.


You know when you have your itunes on shuffle, and the one song you clicked on will lead you down a road of songs you love? and maybe some songs you didn't even know you had or loved? It's a rare and beautiful thing. This has been this week's result of that:

1. You Send Me - Sam Cooke
2. Tired of Sex - Weezer
3. Ela Nao Gosta de Mim - Agape
4. Kidnap the Sandy Claus - Danny Elfman/The Nightmare Before Christmas
5. Sootballs - Joe Hisaishi & New Japan Philharmonic Orchestra/Spirited Away
6. Do It Again - The Beach Boys
7. Walkin' to New Orleans - Fats Domino
8. Money (That's What I Want) - The Beatles
9. The Good That Won't Come Out - Rilo Kiley
10. Sixteen Tons - Tennessee Ernie Ford
11. Only in Dreams - Weezer
12. Astair - Matt Costa
13. Never Before, Never Again - Daniel Johnston
14. Look At Me - John Lennon
15. Svatba (The Wedding) - Bulgarian State Radio
16. Be Gentle With Me - The Boy Least Likely To
17. O Leaozinho - Caetano Valoso
18. Green Onions - Brooker T. & the MGs
19. Wasted - The Runaways
20. Maneater - Hall & Oates
21. You Don't Send Me - Belle & Sebastian
22. You Make Me Feel So Good - The Zombies
23. Time Is On My Side - The Rolling Stones
24. Satellite - Guster
25. Hot-Blooded - Foreigner

I love how You Send Me, and You Don't Send Me both ended up on there.

Moving on from music....to fashion. I'm not good at transitions.
I've been ogling a few simple items on Modcloth lately. I figure since I just moved into a new apartment, I should wait to buy some new clothes, but here's the eye candy anyway.




I am also looking to buy a staple jean jacket. So if anyone has any suggestions...

And finally. I've created a monster.
It kind of looks like an ancient Egyptian god with a flat, rigid, androgynous torso, an angry owl's head and a heavy, disproportionate sea snake's tail. I like to think it's complicated past makes up for my lack of artistic talent. (I opted out on drawing hands altogether, and just kind of let the wrists fade out.)
It - I, deep down, believe it's a her - was once human. She had to make a very important decision, but for whatever reason, couldn't. For this, a punishment was in order. The gods (whatever gods you wish) gave her an owl's head and a sea snake tail so she would forever be tormented - unable to choose between the sea and the sky. And if the choice were to be made (which it couldn't) she would not be suited to either. The owl, representing wisdom and logic, also pulls her in one direction, while the sea snake, the tempter and passion-driven, pulls her in the other. The Indecisive Monster. Take it or leave it. An everyday struggle, personified! How cool is that? Pretty cool.

Well...this turned to be a I'm bored kind of blog entry. Next time I'll have entertaining themes and funny stories. and something to talk about other than... myself. Before you go, look at this flickr account. The photographs are quite stunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment